Thursday, January 8, 2009

Healthy (?) Big Mac

I'm not a gourmet - not by a long shot.


I gave up red meat 20 years ago and have never looked back, so I have to get a bit creative with turkey and chicken. One day, many long years ago I had a craving for one of those double burgers that the place with the golden arches sells ... you know the one. I found a recipe and I attempted to recreate using 'healthier' alternatives.


Honestly, this isn't as hard as it sounds...the trick is to cut, cook and assemble in the same manner.


The recipe: two whole beef patties, special sauces, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onioins on a sesame seed bun.


My healthly version, lean ground turkey, whole grain bun, low fat thousand island dressing, Land of Lakes American Cheese cut thin (I really want to try some soy cheese or something else here like a colby cheese but I can't cut it thin enough). I need a deli slicer (remember that Sienfeld episode). I buy the big dill pickles and slice them myself. I used head lettuce this time but I want to use some really healthy greens or bean sprouts would be awesome substitute - it really depends upon how closely you want to achieve that same TASTE.




I recommended a total preparation first.
Finely chop the onions.
Slice pickles THIN.
Cut top of large buns in half (to make a triple decker) and toast buns.
Shred lettuce (finely)
Toast buns - you can use butter on a griddle or frying pan but I don't bother. I just put them in the toaster/toaster oven and brown them lightly (less fattening).


Make thin hamburger patties (flat and THIN I tell ya). Then begin cooking your burgers (be careful - turkey meat is sticky so the thinner the burger the harder it is to remove from the surface in which you fattened the heck out of it ... better to use a turner to scrape it up rather than handling). I guess you can use salt and pepper and/or season salt on your burgers while they are cooking; I don't bother because there is enough salt in the cheese, pickles and dressing (err special sauce).
Assemble all ingredients in the correct order.
bottom bun
burger
cheese
sauce
middle bun
lettuce
burger
cheese
pickles
onions
top bun


This process really goes quickly once the burgers are done so the more organized, the better.


I realize now that I assembled this all wrong. UGH.

No comments: