Tuesday, January 6, 2009

OH MY - Heaven in a cookie

I know, another cookie recipe...but my girlys cannot eat most sweets and junk food sold in stores so I have to make homemade everything or spend a small fortune for it...


The girlys LOVE oreo cookies, and from what I hear, these are pretty spectacular (my taste buds were gone when I made these so I personally did not taste them).


I found this recipe on SmittenKitchen.


I reduced the sugar for the cookie as Deb suggests by 1/2 cup.


For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used Hersheys)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (I used only 1 cup)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg


For the filling:
1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


For the cookies:
Preheat to 375 degrees.
Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar.
Add butter and egg.
A dough-like mass will form.
Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
Flatten the dough with moist hands.
Bake for 9 minutes.


For the cream filling:
Mix butter and shortening at low speed, beat in the sugar and vanilla.
Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.


To assemble the cookies:
You could use a pastry bag but I used a knife.


Mine were not nearly as lovely as Deb's but they were tasty (again, from what I hear) and they were pretty easy.


Gluten-free version is available here at Hey, that tastes good!


Definitely on my list to make again and again.

No comments: